Monday, May 2, 2011

Podcast favorite: Tech Chick Tips

Tech Chick Tips is by far my favorite podcast to listen to. Not only do these ladies offer tons of resources for educators to use, they also have funny banter and keep the Podcast short and sweet. Other Podcasts I have listened to have began to drag on after the first 30 minutes of listening to the topic. Now, do not get me wrong, these other Podcasts were interesting but it is hard to sit still and listen to somebody talk for an hour when there are other pressing items on my agenda. This is why I love Tech Chick Tips. I load them onto my iPod and can listen to their whole cast in the time it takes me to walk to class. I am able to do things successfully at once. My favorite podcast of these ladies was the very first one I listened to about the National Science Foundation (NSF). I loved that they found a site that related Olympic Sports to science in a fun and educational way in the classroom. Many of my students will be participating in some sort of sport or possibly enjoy watching sports and this is a very easy way to relate my content to their lives. It was an eyeopener for how easy it is to find useful resources to use in my classroom. I was very excited to get into a classroom and use this website. Besides only using NSF for the Olympic sports relation, I know that it has much more to offer to science educators. The NSF has excellent lab books, project based learning books, and instruction by inquiry books for teachers to use. I have seen these books at a conference I attended and was very pleased with how helpful these materials were. I hear from most teachers that coming up with labs that are cheap, easy, and appropriate is very hard especially with the budget cuts happening in many school districts. So, by now, you should see why I love Tech Chick Tips, they appeal to my nerdy side.

No comments:

Post a Comment